Sunday, January 19, 2014

2014

The other day, my coworker Nicole told me that she doesn't make resolutions for the new year, but instead she makes suggestions to herself. I like that - 'resolutions' always sounded so firm and inflexible when we all know that life is anything but. It's been a few years since I've made an actual list of resolutions, but I do like to take the new year as an opportunity to think about things I'd like to improve on and accomplish. If I still want to improve on and accomplish those same things a few months down the road, then I usually get a little more proactive with goal-setting. Now that I write it out, it seems like kind of a lazy way to go about things, but I also like to give myself room to change my mind and to not be too hard on myself if things don't go according to plan.

New year, new giraffe statue discovery in Santa Fe!
 Eric & I feel like we're in a pretty great place to start thinking about self-improvement - we both love our jobs and we love living in Santa Fe, and stability is always a good starting point, right? But we are also getting married this year (woah), and we have no way of anticipating how the planning and the marriage will change or not change our lives. So we've got to be a little flexible.

With all that said, here are some of our 2014 suggestions for ourselves.


Marie:
  • to write more, for myself (in my journal) and for others
  • to read 30 books
  • to make a more concentrated effort at practicing/improving my Spanish
  • to run more, especially outdoors
  • to invest a more professional wardrobe
  • to listen to more (new) music

Eric:
  • to have a (better) garden
  • to practice Spanish
  • to rock climb outside more 
  • to bike to work more
  • to invest in a more professional wardrobe

We also plan to spend a lot of 2014 doing the same things we did in 2013 - hiking, watching Buffy, going to as many free social events as possible, and hanging out with Zeezy. Sounds pretty good to me.

Eric and Zeezy

No comments:

Post a Comment